Did ya miss me? Sorry it has been so long… I have been extremely busy soaking up the California sun.
But who cares about gorgeous beaches and sunny skies; when there is baking to be done? Yes, I even bake when I’m on vacation (I might have issues).
Sooooo, I was driving back from a sunny day at the beach (yes I’m going to continue to brag about my vacation) when we passed the cutest strawberry stand. My Busty Bakist senses started to tingle and I knew what had to be done. So, I bought some strawberries and was on my way. It was Strawberry Shortcake time!!!!
Aren’t they gorgeous!? You may be thinking… how can I ever replicate all that sexiness? WELL, no need muster up all your boobalicious busty power (I know the boys and Natalie Portman are relieved), because these were super easy.
I mean good god look at these strawberries…
and without further ado…
(adapted from “Smitten Kitchen“)
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 tablespoons sugar (and a little extra for sprinkling)
1.5 tablespoon baking powder
2 hard-boiled egg yolks
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into little cubes (about the size of a sugar cube)
2/3 cup of heavy cream (and a little extra for brushing on)
Whisk and/or your hands
1 large mixing bowl
1 small mixing bowl
1 cupcake tin
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Place all dry ingredients in the large mixing bowl and mix until evenly combined.
3. In the small mixing bowl using a fork mash up the hard-boiled egg yolks until it looks like wet sand.
4. Combine egg yolks to the flour mixture in the large mixing bowl and mix
5. Add cold butter to the flour mixture in the large mixing bowl. Now using either a whisk (whisk slowly) or your hands mix butter into the mixture until it has a coarse sandy consistency.
6. Add heavy cream and mix until the you have wet all the dough and it starts to come together.
7. Now whip out that cupcake tin and either put in cupcake papers or oil the tin. Rip off pieces of dough from the bowl and press into the tin so that each one is about 3/4 full.
8. You may think its time to throw these in the oven, but not so fast! If you really want these to be extra extra delicious there is one more step. Very lightly brush some heavy cream and sprinkle a little sugar on top of all the shortcakes.
9. Now you can place them in the oven and let bake for 17-19 minutes. They should have risen a little and be a very light golden brown.
10. Now let the shortcakes cool while you make some strawberries and whipped cream!
1/2 pound strawberries, washed, hulled and quartered
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 medium mixing bowl
1. Mix all ingredients in bowl and put aside.
2/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 medium mixing bowl
Mixer with whisk attachment (or whisk)
1. Whip the heavy cream in the bowl with the mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form, which should take approximately 2 to 4 minutes.
3. And tada! Whipped Cream
So the rest is up to you. Don’t worry it is not that hard. You can put the whipped cream and strawberries on top of the shortcake like a cupcake. You could make a classic sandwich like I did. Or even a double sandwich if you are feeling extra crazy.
I hope you enjoy them, because I sure did (I’d rather not discuss my excessive Cali weight gain from these and too many visits to In-N-Out)
Until next time!