So its officially my favorite season! It is officially SUMMER!!!!! I’m not sure about you, but I live and breathe summer. I was born in the summer and I love everything about it. I felt it was only appropriate to make a “summer themed” desert.
I thought what is more summer than strawberry rhubarb? So, I went to the grocery store to get my supplies. I grabbed some butter, strawberries, and eggs. I walked around the store 3 times and couldn’t find any rhubarb. I thought it was kinda weird, but I figured I could stop at another store on the way home. After the third store, I realized I had to give up. I even called my mom to ask her if I was going insane. I still do not know why there was no rhubarb.
But, there is no need to worry! The Busty Bakist does not give up on baking so easily! Instead of strawberry rhubarb I longed ever so dearly, I decided to use the gorgeous strawberries I had already bought at the first store.
So, I made strawberry crumb bars. Everyone told me they were delicious! But, every time I bit into them, my tastebuds missed that rhubarb. But don’t worry, I’m a total nutcase. If you plan on making these, don’t even think about the rhubarb. I mean look at them!
So, enough of my rambling…
Strawberry Crumb Bars
Bar Base and Crumble Topping
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1 large egg
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Large mixing bowl
Hand mixer or whisk
Greased 13″ by 9″ pan
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Combine all ingredients into large mixing bowl
3. Start mixing all the ingredients on low speed. Once all the ingredients are starting to combine kick the speed up to medium. Stop mixing once the dough makes small pea sized crumbs.
4. Now, take half of the buttery yummy crumb mixture and press it into the base of your pre-greased pan.
1 lb of Strawberries washed and cut into small pieces
3/4 cup of powdered sugar
Medium mixing bowl
1. Add strawberries and sugar into medium mixing bowl and mix
2. Pour strawberry mixture on top of crumb base in pan
3. Take the other half of the crumb mixture and sprinkle it on top of the strawberries
4. Place pan in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown on top
Enjoy your first taste of summer!!!!