Well Hello Again! I’m so happy that you have decided to put up with me for another post! So, as I’m sure you all know this Sunday was a very important day, Mother’s Day! But, what you don’t know is that the day before Mothers Day was the best day I’ve had all year! I didn’t get a puppy, marry a prince, and/or win a million dollars (clearly the usual trifecta that usually creates the best day ever). I’m gonna let you in on what made it the best day ever, but you will probably just think that:
A. I have really low standards on what makes a great day
B. I am a total dork
C. I am just plain crazy
So, these are the things that made my day wonderful and perfect
1. I got to sleep in late
2. I woke up to the most beautiful sunny warm day
3. I had bacon for breakfast
4. Did I mention I had bacon?
5. I went to the store and looked at pretty cake decorating supplies and bought a pretty cupcake stand (I know I’m really cool)
6. I got to lie outside in a pretty sundress, in my backyard, in the warm sun, and got to read for 4 hours
but most importantly….
7. I made yummy yummy mothers day cupcakes!
Aren’t they purdy (you better say yes)? Well it’s your lucky day! I’m about to give you one of my all time favorite cupcake recipes! So, without anymore delay…
Vanilla Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting
(adapted from “The Cake Bible”)
4 large egg whites (4 liquid ounces)*
1 cup milk*
2.25 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups sifted cake flour
1.5 cups of sugar
1.5 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt 1.5 sticks butter*
*All refrigerated items must be at room temperature before you start!
Mixer with whisk attachment (not totally necessary)
1 large mixing bowl
1 medium mixing bowl
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F
3. Take all the dry ingredients and put them into the large mixing bowl. Mix with the dry ingredients for 30 seconds.
5.Once all the ingredients are moistened click it up to medium speed and beat for about 1.5 minutes. (cake bible informed me we do this to “aerate and develop the cake’s structure”)
6. After you have aerated and developed gradually add the egg mixture; in 3 batches. Beat for 20 seconds after every batch.
7. Make sure you scrape down the sides and everything is mixed uniformly
8. Line the cupcake pan with cupcake liners and pour in batter. You want to fill each cupcake about 3/4 full.
9. Throw those cupcakes in the oven for 15-18 minutes or until you can stick a toothpick in the cupcakes and it comes out dry.
10. You must let the cupcakes cool for about 20 minutes or you will ruin them.
1 cup Crisco shortening
2 sticks butter (can use salted or unsalted)*
1/3 cup luke warm water 1 teaspoon popcorn salt (normal salt is okay too)
1.5 tablepoons vanilla extract
2 lb. bag of powder sugar
Mixer with paddle attachment
1 large mixing bowl
3. Now, with the mixer on low, gradually add the powdered sugar; and water mixture. Alternate back and forth between the sugar and water until everything is combined
4. Once everything is combined kick up the speed on the mixer and mix for about 2 minutes and Voila! Icing!
So, that’s all for today folks.
P.S. Don’t worry all the mommies liked the cupcakes!